Sunday, September 9, 2012

ALTUZARRA spring 2013 NY collections

Okay, so I have to say this guy knows his was around a jacket, no question. I can also say this young man has a fringe fetish, which is a food thing, and I also give him credit for his color palette as well as his pension for more is better. What I really want to know is this … in what universe are the fabulous clothes? Try as I might to understand and continually stare at the images, I am continually perplexed by what I see. Slickest looks were the simple blue cotton shirts tucked neatly into a wrap waisted print skirt and then some of the simpler fringed pieces. Even though I am a great proponent of “more,” I cannot “wrap” my head around the pieces in the last segment that are wrapped, cowled, patched, embroidered, fringed and more. The only thing that comes to mind is Haider Ackerman on heavy duty mind altering drugs. While I admit to his tailoring prowess, who exactly needs jackets whose sleeves are merely decoration? The “bells and whistles” factor is omnipresent but does anyone even possibly think how heavy these pieces are to wear, especially the metal fringed styles? I will be accused of being overly concerned with the utilitarian aspects of the clothes … after all, it is FASHION! My point boils down to this; runway shows are as good as it gets for the hype excitement factor but you still have to sell the clothes to a store who in turn sells to a paying customer. Without the last caveat, you have clothes and no business unless of course you are Gucci and Prada who sell far less clothes than they do wallets and key rings. When Prabal, Jason and Joseph appeared on the fashion horizon, I had great hopes of the next generation of New York or 7th Avenue designers but as time goes by, it appears my hopes of this great triumvirate have been dashed. Yes, each one has designed their way into the future of fashion but 2 out of the 3 will run out of tricks to use season after season after their propitious beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment