Friday, September 30, 2016

Christian Dior spring 2017 Paris



Facts according to a NY Times article of July 8 this year:

60% of total Dior business (5.5B euros) comes from perfumes and cosmetics; That leaves 40% for accessories, clothing of all classifications, shoes and whatever else to fill in the blanks.

She has never led a house by herself.

This collection is the warm up to the70th anniversary of the maison.

Okay so the mantra of Christian Dior was that he wants to make women beautiful and well he has turned over so many times in his grave that we really can’t be sure in what part of the world he is now residing. 
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge



Ms. Chiuri may have brought her ambition, her love of sheer and knowledge with her but what she didn’t bring is any idea of the DNA of the maison. I mean printed tee shirts at Dior is like serving Nathan’s hot dogs in one of Joël Robuchon’s restaurants. Not only do we have the blandest color palette around but also the most yawn worthy of collections to mark a debut. 
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge


Yes, she has put her mark on the brand with doll clothes which are a cross between swordsmanship/fencing and Degas ballerinas. Make sense? Well not to me either

You would think that after all the hoopla and all the carrying on that you might actually sit up in your seat and take note but instead you have to be careful not to nod off and fall asleep. Bad enough to have printed tee shirts but straps with Dior printed on them and phrases embroidered on a hem .. it is just the nadir of supposed high fashion. Favorites include hands cupping breasts .. lobster on bustier .. knee high sneakers and some dreary black pieces.
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge



What ever happened to lush and chic .. glamour has left the building! And oh yeah I am sure the Diorphiles around the world will be breaking the doors down to get to this pile