Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Louis Vuitton spring 2017 Paris



 Let it be known from the start, I have never really been a fan of Nicholas Ghesquiere nor the brand of Louis Vuitton, not even when Marc was designing it. BUT… something struck me this season, something good. Something like ... Yes I really like some of this collection and so here we are!
clcik to enlarge image


The opening salvo of dresses (they sort of conjured TF’s first collection for Gucci) made me believe that this collection would be aimed at the idea that women might actually want to wear these clothes... Oh and let’s get this straight as well, we are not discussing price here, we are speaking strictly about the esthetics! So, yes I liked the dresses... Well not all but a lot more than usual, I even liked the checkerboard fish scale sequin number. Next would be the riff on tailored pieces which for the most part looked fresh and a nod to the current trend and mood that seems to be pervading international runways. Yes, I know some of the pieces were a tad over designed, but again, everything is relative so I am speaking in comparison to past collections from the brand.
clcik to enlarge image

clcik to enlarge image


 The problem arose when the designer got crazy and took a wrong turn to and over the top tricked out. One can only imagine the reasons but I’m guessing they are backed up by some arcane esoteric inspiration to justify their existence. If the collection is dissected, there are pieces here and there than can be aptly termed classic and in some cases new or modern, at lack of better words.
clcik to enlarge image

clcik to enlarge image


 Just as an FYI, I try very hard to find something positive to write about in many collections even though it may seem that I am a misanthrope of fashion espousing nastiness at every opportunity. Well, quite the contrary, I try to offer a view of fashion that is informed, hopefully somewhat impartial with some bits of humor and sometimes caustic as all hell.  If the truth be known, I’d rather write a good review and not a bad one and so here we are... A half and half review.

No comments:

Post a Comment