Saturday, June 24, 2017

Dior Homme spring 2018



March of the 16 year olds! I wonder if any of them shave yet?
click image to enlarge


I really just don’t get the casting but once again you must behead them to see what’s proffered by this brand. Unquestionably, tailoring and hard tailoring at that is at the forefront. I’m not so sure about the puddling full legged pants but hell I’ll take them anytime over still another pair joggers or track pants.
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge



It is rather obvious to me that KVA has borrowed some elements from the women’s collections but god knows why other than in the quest for more cohesive cross pollenating collections.  The Dior “taping,” which now reads ATELIER for some reason and then the sleeveless coats and jackets……….. I can’t help but think what this collection might have looked if when worn by men who look like men rather than the barely prepubescent boys that paraded down the catwalk. With that said add that there might have been quite a different perception if the designer presented anything other than trainers on the models’ feet and passed on the silly shorts made even sillier by how they were shown. 
click image to enlarge



I know I am beating that dead horse but hell why do these designers think that showing on BOYS make the clothes younger when the audience they are trying to appeal to is barely out of university and can hardly afford any of these looks in the foreseeable future. I get that you want an aspirational customer but millennials and teenagers are shopping at Zara, H&M and Uniqlo way before they ever set foot in or contemplate entering a Dior boutique or department. 
click image to enlarge


  
I did find huge appeal in the tailored pieces with their razor sharp lines and mostly close to the body silhouettes; I just can’t wrap my head around the stuff like upside down PARIS and half blazer half pants and half blazer half polos.  what this seems to be is designing for design sake. What promotes and sustains the brand is the tailoring and not the gimmicks although one can be sure the tricked out pieces are the ones that will land on editorial pages most likely with the captions that read price upon request.

No comments:

Post a Comment