Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Armani Privé ... haute couture fall 2017



Far from being a favorite collection this season I cannot help but speak to the almost ethereal quality that this collection achieves! The reason I point this out is that it is the polar opposite which that other Italian  at the helm of a French heritage brand cannot possibly understand or achieve … you figure it out!
click image to enlarge



The exquisiteness of some of the jackets, the delicacy of some of the dresses, the embellishments are what draws me here. Yes tailoring takes a starring role but the absolute explosions of tulle and weightlessness make me dream of the greats of haute couture.  Rarely do we see a collection that is body conscious yet not overtly sexy/nude and yet it is so slick and raffiné. 
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge


Did I like the prints  ... I don’t think so at all ... did I like the styling ... no I don’t think so..  the kherpresh hats and veiling  why bother? … But even those overly exaggerated pieces awe me as they are what haute couture is all about ... fantasy ... wild imaginings ... overstatement  and unbridled creativity. 
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge



So let’s go back to the collection which boasts familiar Armani-isms in silhouette but there is a fluidity and softness that plays against the hard tailoring and that is its magnetism; strangely he is one of  the last of great designers who uses silk velvet as a staple for his fall collections when in fact it was as common as a slit in every European collection once upon a time. Going back over the images again, there is plenty not to like here but then again it just all balances out with the elegant and exquisite.

No comments:

Post a Comment