Sunday, May 12, 2019

meet the real deal ... Matthew Sinnaeve


In this age of social media where Instagram has become a sort of barometer for people as to whether or not they are famous, popular or even wise ... that is if you actually read what they have they have to say;  it has been my experience to dismiss so much since there are far too many 20 somethings espousing worldly wisdom about life that they have hardly experienced at any great length. In other words, most of this so called worldly wisdom, Zen, love and light is bullshit because their behavior usually betrays their words but then once in a while you actually find a person who lives by their words and actually understands the meaning of the words he writes.
click image to enlarge
There was something about Matthew that resonated with me, something that spoke to me and said that this young man despite his movie star visage, there is a genuine human being who gets it! Yes, he writes what he feels and means what he says and most importantly he lives by his words….. A rare commodity in these times.
click image to enlarge
My instinct about him proved more than just right. It is rather unusual that I am taken in by the social media wisdom that is spewed but something just told me Matthew is the real deal and as you will read, I do believe that you will agree with what I sensed and found to be true.
click image to enlarge
What came before your present situations as artist and model; or in other words a sort of biography?
I grew up in a small town called Gwinn in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Prior to life as an artist and model, my life revolved around sports - specifically basketball and football. My dad coached basketball and football and my mom has been a figure skater her entire life and coaches now as well. I went to Ferris State University where I studied biology with an emphasis in pre-medicine and played for the university’s basketball team. I earned my bachelor’s degree and began preparing for medical school - I had originally wanted to be a neurosurgeon - before realizing I had a more creative side that I wanted to explore.

I had a variety of jobs prior to modeling. I worked in my uncle’s car garage, worked construction (roofing) during the summers while I went to school, worked as a laborer for my local township, and, finally, worked as an anesthesia technician at my local hospital prior to moving to New York City. 
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge
How do you decide if you wish to shoot with a certain photographer... any prerequisites or even a wish list of those who you would love to shoot with? Goals?
In order for me to want to shoot with a certain photographer, their work has to speak to me. If a photographer and I have a mutual interest in working together, then I run it by my agency (Soul Artist Management) to get their thoughts. Sometimes, the agency will recommend that I shoot with someone that I’m unfamiliar with, but I trust their judgement. As far as a wish list goes...I wish I had the opportunity to work with and personally learn from the likes of Irving Penn, Herb Ritts, and Richard Avedon.

Goals? To create work that stands the test of time.
click image to enlarge
If you could invite any 5 people to dinner who would they be and why?
Luke Sinnaeve: My brother. Luke is my only sibling and my best friend. I’d give that kid my beating heart if I had to. Darren & Shirra Sinnaeve: My parents. They have done their best to support me through my best and worst of times. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for them. You can take that literally if you’d like to. Jason Kanner: My agent. He has welcomed me into his family like I am his own blood and I am forever grateful for that. If I’m unable to travel home for a holiday, he is the first to open his door for me to celebrate with him and his family. Nina Murano: My acting coach. She has taught me everything I know when it comes to acting. She truly changed my life in more ways than she’ll ever know.
click image to enlarge
Do you have a role model or mentor that you try to emulate or inspired you and why?
My role model is my dad, Darren Sinnaeve. If I can be half the man, husband, and father he has been, then I’m doing something right. He doesn’t know a thing about TV and film, fashion, or art, but he has supported me in every way possible since I dove headfirst into this crazy life. That’s all I could ever ask for.

I would never try to emulate someone because I don’t want to be anyone else but me. However, I would say my greatest inspiration is Marlon Brando because not only was he incredibly talented, but also he was real.
click image to enlarge
Let’s talk Matthew in 5 years; where do you see yourself and if you could plan it out, what who would you be?
I see myself doing what I love: acting. Hopefully acting enough to live comfortably and pay the bills; anything beyond that is a bonus in my eyes.

While I’m young, I imagine I’ll be doing more work on the screen than the stage, but at some point in my life I’d like to make the stage my focus. Unfortunately, here in the US people get caught up in the glitz and glam of Hollywood and give very little respect to the theater. However, anyone worth their salt knows that the stage is the real test. You get one shot and one shot only while you’re up there, so you better make the most of it.
click image to enlarge
www.instagram.com/soulartistmgmt

2 comments:

  1. How very refreshing in todays day and age ... Kudos Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article, resonates with me in a way that makes me want to follow man's career.

    ReplyDelete