Friday, November 30, 2012

HARBINGER OF DESIGN... FROMENTAL



With the widening of my focus to include interior design, I am proud to say that I have found the Charles James of wall coverings or the haute couture of interior design.  The brand is FROMENTAL, the product is sublime and really beyond my writing abilities as no matter how I try, I will never fully do the product justice.

In all my years I have never quite been exposed to this degree of handwork other than when it takes the form of an item of wearing apparel.  Fromental has shown me that there is indeed an haute couture element when it comes to the world of interiors.  The company bills itself as wallpaper but then that would like saying a Christian Lacroix Haute Couture gown is a mere dress.  The crux of the brand is that this is all about made by hand, not hand screened, but hand painted, hand embroidered, and on silk and then backed with paper and most of the time with Asian influences but not limited to.  The quality of the embroidery and hand painting is excruciatingly beautiful especially when the embroidery work takes the form of “crewel” type embroidery with all the nuances of color and shading… do not think Grandma’s crewel pillows. 

Just to reinforce to you just how amazing this “paper” is, one must keep in mind that this is not sold by the single or double roll but by the size of the walls and that this “art” cannot be “hung” by Joe the paper hanger but MUST be transferred to the walls by artisans and craftsmen who can literally guarantee that not a spot of glue ever sees the face of the paper. 

I hope that the slideshow will be able do some justice to this astonishingly exquisite “wall paper.”




No comments:

Post a Comment