Sunday, March 1, 2020

Thom Browne fall 2020


Anyone who really knows me understands that fashion is one of the few things that still races my motor. As I wrote yesterday, I don’t see myself as a fashion intellect nor do I pretend to like what I don’t understand but in the case of Thom Browne I am inexplicably mesmerized by what he does.
click image to enlarge
Do I get it?  Nah, not even close and actually nor do I care to but what I do know is that this man in his twisted, witty and demented way is just brilliant when it comes to the art and craft of fashion and I’m not just speaking about what you see:  it’s about how it happens…  the manufacture of it, the incredible fabrications, the construction, patterns, in this case, the most limited of palettes to create a jaw-dropping display of talent.
click image to enlarge
I’m sure there will be write-ups about gender blurring and god knows what else but hell…. Look at these clothes….do I have a clue who wears them ... nope! My best guess is that there is a cult of Thom Browne devotées who either wear them or just collect them. As for the inspirational crap … who cares? …   this is unquestionably when fashion crosses the line into artistry.
click image to enlarge
He is a brilliant showman and when I look at this and look at the trash that Balenciaga is turning out just for attention and there is no contest. We worry about the Russians invading our voting process and yet the Russians have almost destroyed the fashion business by upending it and turning it into a sideshow of freaks from a gulag.
click image to enlarge
So, I don’t know what you call this ... it’s not exactly a review ... maybe it’s a rant ... maybe it’s a vent but whatever it is, I wanted to make a point of putting it out there… like it? ... fine!   Don’t like it?  Fine!  Truth be told it doesn’t much matter to me.
click image to enlarge
At the risk of blowing my own horn but after almost 50 years of being in this business, I have forgotten more than most know about it!
click image to enlarge
PS… if anyone would like to buy me a gift the pancaked man scarf is my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment