Sunday, March 3, 2013

Maxime Simoens Paris Collections fall 2013



Here’s a novelty... a one man think tank!  I have been watching Mr. Simoens since his momentary collaboration at Leonard and now my interest has been piqued by the stake that LVMH has bought in his small company.  I would say that the purchase was a prescient one by Monsieur Arnault as this is a young man with ideas to spare.

Please do not think that I am touting this wunderkind who can do no wrong as that is certainly not the case here but what I am saying is that there are a profuse amount of ideas that can be honed and developed and what might turn into signatures for the young designer.  I am intrigued by his take on the shirtwaist dress as on the polo dress/shirt, in your face graphic qualities as much as I am intrigued by his choice of accessories, fabrications and color palette.

I was especially taken by the hourglass shaped embroidered short black dress as I was by the asymmetrical skirt over pants as I was with the apparent fascination of the fit n’ flare silhouette.  Yes, there are some glaring proportional errors but that is so easily rectified but the base is very strong here and I do believe that Mr. Simoens will be destined for great things provided he doesn’t believe his own press and doesn’t let his ego get in the way of his talents.






As is commonly the case with most new designers, they seem to want to alter their DNA seasonally which I am hoping will not be the case here  as there is nothing quite as boring as a designer with no “look” no recognizable signature who just churns out trend fashion season after season.  The challenge is in the building and developing the DNA so now the question that begs to be asked is simply “Is Maxime Simoens up to the task of becoming a world class designer?”

No comments:

Post a Comment