Sunday, February 25, 2018

Salvatore Ferragamo fall 2018



I was not planning on writing this piece since I am not one to beat up someone/brand with whom I have a “relationship.” Let me define relationship here as being a friend of the brand ... that means that they were very kind to me when I first started this segment of my life and I believe that they engendered a great deal of loyalty through our “friendship,” DO NOT take this to be that in any way that I ever received or was even offered any remuneration of any kind from the brand … only a professional friendship which treated me with great respect and with the feeling that I mattered, so to speak.  
click image to enlarge



Having said this, after having read a review of the current collection and their first dual/co-ed men’s and women’s Fall 18 presentation I felt compelled to write…. at lack of a better word ... a rebuttal of sorts to the Vogue review which I actually not only disagreed with but found offensive and even more so to be false and untrue.
click image to enlarge

click image to enlarge



Apparently the new design powers at Ferragamo have recast the brand as a sort of me too brand instead of one that proposes its own new fashion each season. In this instance, what I mean by “me too” is that now apparently Ferragamo will look much more like Hermès, when Margiela was designing,  a bland version of Hermes, a watered down version of Bottega Veneta and worse yet some insane reimagining of Rick Owens and maybe the present day Valentino. This all now translates to generic looking, bland and uninspiring me too clothes which they seem to think their clientele is yearning for.
click image to enlarge



From the shapeless and oversized to the scarf lining and coats ( done by Hermès for decades)  to the plain old pants and sweaters and shapeless dresses, the brand has lost its chic its fashion and what set it apart from its peers. To me Massimiliano Giornetti and his taste level and his skillset were the reasons that Ferragamo became a power house in the business of fashion… he gave the clothes a personality an urbanity and a chic … yet according to Vogue you would think he was a cancer inflicted upon the house that led to its downfall within the world of fashion … an embarrassment …. so NOT true.
click image to enlarge



What offends me most is not the clothes which I do find to be rather anonymous and sad for the most part but I am deeply offended by the character assassination of the brand’s former designer and proposing that his oeuvre for Ferragamo was a detriment rather than an asset to the house. SHAME ON THEM!
click image to enlarge



You be the judge... you tell me what’s  so great about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment