Saturday, September 26, 2015

Bottega Veneta Spring 2016 MFW



While it should have thrilled me that Tomas Maier has decided to put leopard to use, instead I am quite unmoved by it as a whole. What is most disturbing to me is that the collection comes off as Fall-ish despite the linens and cottons.
clcik image to enlarge

clcik image to enlarge

Yes, the artsy craftsy elements are present and accounted as this designer has certainly honed that quality for this collection, but what seems to be missing here is an element of polish and chic that is as a rule present and accounted for. Some of the clothes come off as rather dowdy and some even as very earth mother and then some maybe even “mall-ish.” My beloved leopard looks heavy rather than whimsical or “light” in feeling. This go around the collection lacks that touch that usually renders the clothes looking weightless. Even the digitalized floral print which reminded me of camouflage doesn’t seem to work here.
clcik image to enlarge

clcik image to enlarge

There is no question in my mind that the clothes are impeccably made. There is also doubt in my mind that the dyed in the wool Bottega client will find plenty to own and swoon over. One thing that disappointed me greatly was that Maier jumped on the fur lined clog/mule train as I really thought he was above such trendy stuff. To my eye, the clothes also look a bit heavy handed and forced in a way.

clcik image to enlarge

clcik image to enlarge
As a whole I am sure this is a god collection whish just personally leaves me cold since it is possible that having these kinds expectations usually ends with disappointment in some way. IMHO, this is not a collection that lives up to the reputation that Tomas Maier has created as the reimagination of this heritage brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment