Sunday, June 16, 2013

Prabal Gurung resort 2014


Prab doll,



Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but I just had to speak to you and the resort collection.  So, you wanted to revisit your time with the American master Bill Blass which is a good thing.  The problem is that I think you memory is playing tricks on you as there aren’t many Blass references in the collection and if I had to choose an “inspiration” I might say Beene more than Blass.  This of course will not make much sense if your fashion resume or frame of reference has 10 minutes expiration.

When you first started, I was so in love with what you were doing, you were making beautiful clothes that did in fact speak to your time at Blass and the clothes resonated with so many women at the retail level.  Then as if you got drunk on your own press and Anna’s Kool Aid, you went way out on a limb and started to design, and I use the term very loosely, these clothes which reminded me of so many other designers and La Belle … you know of the Lady Marmalade variety.



The clean and non-gimmicky shapes and designs are beautiful and then you get all twisted up with these print patterns and straps and cut outs and flanges and such that the clothes start looking more like Zara than they do Bergdorf’s and that’s where the trouble begins.  If Blass was your inspiration why the pedestrian knits, the puddling pants and those ghastly shoes?  Think about it!  Blass evoked chic and raffine in the most classical and simple fashion and was always timely.

So, honeybee, do you think you can toss off the tricks and trends for Spring and bring us a collection that screams soigne rather than runway?  Huh, huh can you do that?  Somehow by bucking the trend train you become more original than the rest of them … if you catch my drift!

Prab baby, hope we can grab a coffee soon, I miss that smirking face plastered all over the social rags... we need to catch up and chat … ciao, ciao kiss, kiss. You have the number...call me

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment